Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy 4th of July!







Bon Dia!

It's the 4th of July. In Dili this means an extravaganza at the American Embassy (which was celebrated on th 3rd actually). Lot's of free food and booze. I was very excited about the hotdogs, but they were a let-down, even for hotdogs.

I attended a meeting yesterday that was hosted by the Ministry of Social Solidarity. The topic was reintegration of IDPs (internally displaced people) to their native aldeias (communities). Staff from IOM (International Office of Migration), UNMIT (United Nations Mission in Timor Leste), and local NGOs were present. I'm learning more and more about reintegration issues concerning individuals who were displaced during conflict. I continue to find the feildwork very interesting after having discussed similar issues during my time at the University of Denver.

I am working on my visa as well. On the 13th I will need to have either an extension or a special stay visa. I'm hoping for the latter as the former would entail visiting the Office of Immigration every month and leaving the country every three months. If I am able to procure a special stay visa, I'll be able to stay in TL for a year. That visa is ideal. It seems though that this visa requires the signature of a ministry official, which is rather difficult to come by. I'm working on it though.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn:
    I figured out how to follow and post on your new blog. Moving the dendrites! I am enjoying your new pictures and especially our Stype connection. I'll look forward to talking with you again with sound since I figured out it was my problem not yours. Take care. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! you've got Skype?? Add me and we can chat sometime :) That would be, to borrow a phrase from you, RAD!!

    Romeo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened with the visa situation? ahhhh visas such a pain in the arse the world over.

    PS I picture you in a smoking jacket with a big cigar and glasses when you say this "I continue to find the fieldwork very interesting after having discussed similar issues during my time at the University of Denver." :P

    ReplyDelete